Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis
- Northern Lights which are usually witnessed far up in the polar regions or the high latitude regions of Europe now could be visible in parts of Illinois and Pennsylvania in the US.
- This is due to a solar flare, which emerged from a Sunspot.
- The flare is accompanied by a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME)
- a large bubble of radiation and particles emitted by the Sun that explodes into space at high speed.
- This causes the Northern Lights to be visible in more number of areas than usual.
Understand Aurora Borealis
Quantum Key Distribution technology
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully demonstrated communication between its two labs using Quantum Key Distribution technology.
- About the technology
- Quantum computing refers to a new era of faster and more powerful computers, and the theory goes that they would be able to break current levels of encryption.
- QKD works by using photons, the particles which transmit light, to transfer data.
- QKD allows two distant users, who do not share a long secret key initially, to produce a common, random string of secret bits, called a secret key.
- Using the one-time pad encryption this key is proven to be secure to encrypt and decrypt a message, which can then be transmitted over a standard communication channel.
Understand the technology
New Parliament Building
- The Foundation stone of the new Parliament building laid.
- It is also known as the Central Vista project.
- It is a grand redevelopment project for building what will be the power corridor of India, having a new Parliament building, a common central secretariat, and revamped three-km-long Rajpath, from the Rashtrapati Bhavan to the India Gate.
Create a memory for the New Parliament Building
Credit: Rajya Sabha TV