- Mizoram Assembly Speaker disqualifies MLA Lalduhoma.
- Mr. Lalduhoma had declared himself as a representative of the Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) (A political party in Mizoram).
- But he was elected as an independent candidate from the Serchhip Assembly constituency.
What is the anti-defection law?
- The Tenth Schedule was inserted in the Constitution in 1985 by the 52nd Amendment Act.
- It lays down the process by which legislators may be disqualified on grounds of defection by the Presiding Officer of a legislature.
- The law applies to both Parliament and state assemblies.
ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus)
- Vietnam has invited India for ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM Plus) being hosted by Vietnam in December 2020.
The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners.
The platform is to strengthen security and defense cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
Eight Dialogue Partners are Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia, and the USA (collectively referred to as the “Plus Countries”).
- The first ADMM-Plus was convened at Ha Noi, Vietnam in 2010.
- 2nd ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM) in 2007 in Singapore adopted a resolution to establish the ADMM-Plus.
- It has five areas of practical cooperation, namely
- Maritime security,
- Humanitarian assistance
- Disaster relief,
- Peacekeeping operations and military medicine.
- The Union Government’s fiscal deficit further widened to around 120% of the annual budget estimate at the end of October of the current fiscal.
- The deficit widened mainly due to poor revenue realization.
- The lockdown imposed to curb the spreading of coronavirus infections had significantly impacted business activities
Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR)
- Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR) in Uttar Pradesh has bagged the TX2 international award.
- For having doubled the number of tigers in less than the stipulated time.
- TX2 is the global award which was set up in 2010 in St. Petersburg, Russia by international organizations working for tiger conservation like WWF, UNDP, IUCN, Global Tiger Fund (GTF), CATS, and The Lion’s Share.
Create memory for PTR
- India set to build Shahtoot Dam in Afghanistan.
- The dam would come upon the Maidan river tributary of the Kabul river.