Group of seven (G7) countries
- Informal forum bringing together the leaders of the world’s leading industrial nations.
- European Union
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- 1975 – It started with an informal meeting of the finance ministers of France, West Germany, the U.S, Great Britain, and Japan (the G-5) in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis.
- 1975 – Italy was later invited to form Group of 6 (G-6).
- 1976 – Canada was invited to the group to form Group of seven (G-7).
- 1981 – European Union joined the group as “non enumerated” member.
- 1997 – Russia joined G-7 to become G-8.
- 2014 – Russia was expelled following the annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine.
- No formal criteria for membership.
- Participants are all highly developed democracies.
- The aggregate GDP of G-7 member states makes up nearly 50% of the global economy and 10% of the world’s population.
- Summits are held annually and hosted on a rotation basis by the group’s members.
- The host country not only holds the G7 presidency but also sets the agenda for the year.
- Invitation to Global leaders are sent by host nation to participate in summit as special invitees.
- The groundwork for the Summit, including matters to be discussed and follow-up meetings, is done by the “sherpas”.
- They are generally personal representatives or members of diplomatic staff such as ambassadors.
45th G-7 Summit
- It was held in France, 2019.
- French President invited four partner countries
- Australia, Chile, India and South Africa
- 5 African countries were also invited
- Burkina Faso, Senegal, Rwanda and South Africa, and the African Union Commission (AUC) Chair Moussa Faki
- Emphasis on equality
- Fighting inequality of opportunity,
- promoting gender equality
- access to education and high-quality health services
- Combating inequality through a renewed partnership with Africa.
- Protecting the planet through climate finance and just ecological transition.
- Preserving biodiversity and the oceans.
- Combat against security threats and terrorism.
- Exploiting opportunities created by digital technology and artificial intelligence (AI) in an ethical and human-oriented way
India at 45th G-7 summit
- Indian Prime Minister participated in two sessions at the summit, on climate change and digitization.
- Indian Prime minister highlighted India’s efforts towards climate protection for a sustainable future.