- The ministry of Jal Shakti has launched the GOBAR (Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources) – DHAN scheme.
- The scheme is being implemented as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin).
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) comprises two main components for creating clean villages
- Creating open defecation free (ODF) villages
- Managing solid and liquid waste in villages.
- Keeping villages clean, increasing the income of rural households, and generation of energy from cattle waste.
- The scheme also aims at creating new rural livelihood opportunities and enhancing income for farmers and other rural people.
Benefits of the scheme
Helpful for the country as India is home to the highest cattle population in the world, close to 300 million in number, with a daily output of 3 million tonnes of dung.
Encourage farmers to consider dung and other waste not just as a waste but as a source of income.
It will be easier to keep the village clean and sanitized, livestock health will improve and farm yields will increase.
Increase self-reliance in energy utilized for cooking and lighting.
Provides a stable fuel supply in the market for oil companies and accessible credit in the market through government schemes and banks for entrepreneurs.